The Botswana Institute for Development Policy Analysis (BIDPA) in collaboration with the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) and the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) will hold a conference on 4-6 March 2015 in Gaborone, Botswana with the theme Policies for competitive smallholder livestock production.
The conference aims to provide an opportunity for African and international scientists and the broader stakeholder groups in the livestock production sector to discuss competitiveness in livestock production systems and improving the livelihoods of livestock farmers, especially smallholders, with emphasis on southern Africa.
The broader objectives of the conference are to gather researchers, policymakers and development partners working in the area of assessing competitiveness in agricultural food production and marketing, and to provide answers to various questions rotating around four thematic areas.
It is hoped that at the end of the conference, there will be specific recommendations for the key questions and how to enhance the competitiveness of smallholder farmers so that they participate more in markets and hence improve their livelihoods.
The conference program committee is calling for papers and posters that address the various development issues related to competitiveness of smallholder livestock farming in southern Africa under the following sub-themes:
- Measures of competitiveness in smallholder livestock production and policy advocacy
- Market access and utilization
- The role of collective action in enhancing competitiveness of smallholder livestock farmers
- The role of governments in the provision of livestock support services
- Economics of animal health and trade in the competitiveness of smallholder livestock production systems
Important deadlines to note
Submission of abstracts: 15 December 2014
Notification of acceptance: 18 December 2014
Submission of full paper/poster: 30 January 2015
Final decisions on full papers/posters: 4 February 2015
For more information, you may contact any of the following conference organizers
- Patrick Malope (BIDPA): email@example.com
- Sirak Bahta (ILRI): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hikuepi (Epi) Katjiuongua (ILRI): email@example.com
- Derek Baker (University of New England): firstname.lastname@example.org